WHAT WE'RE ALL ABOUT
You know your body. You care about what you put in your body. You know your body needs protein. You recognize that protein isn't just about muscles, intense workouts or something only found at the gym. Protein is fundamental to help you live and perform better.
All Muscle Milk ready-to-drink shakes are Informed Sport tested and approved, giving you the confidence to know that these MUSCLE MILK® products are free of any and all banned substances.
OUR PRODUCTS PROVIDE
Our protein is expertly formulated with high-quality ingredients and key nutrients. All MUSCLE MILK® RTDs are INFORMED SPORT® approved and certified ensuring that they are safe and free of banned substances.
We pioneered great tasting protein and continue to offer an array of flavours. Need a fruitier fix? Grab a Strawberry flavoured MUSCLE MILK® shake. Craving chocolate? Of course we have that. We offer over a dozen different flavours across our protein shakes, powders and bars.
We helped build the protein category and continue to remain a leader in the industry today. We're a trusted partner with dozens of international athletic programs, world-class professional athletes and elite training facilities. We work closely with sports scientists, sports dietitians, strength coaches and other experts to ensure we’re producing the highest quality products.
Whether you're an amateur athlete trying to get to the next level or a mother of two trying to get to yoga class, we offer a wide range of protein products that feature the nutrients your active lifestyle demands.
HOW MUCH PROTEIN DO YOU NEED ON A DAILY BASIS?
Protein needs depend on many factors including: age and exercise intensity, duration and frequency. You also need to take in enough calories to support optimal performance and protein utilization.
As a general guideline, consuming about 50-90% of your body weight in grams of protein for active adults and athletes will meet your daily requirements. A professional athlete’s protein needs will be very different from someone who is mildly active based on the factor of the frequency of intense workouts. If you are less active, you may require less daily protein.
Source: Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine: Nutrition and Athletic Performance, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 48(3):543-668, March 2016.
HOW TO USE MUSCLE MILK® PRODUCTS
There are a variety of usage occasions whether you need performance protein, daily protein or both. MUSCLE MILK® products can help keep your body in positive protein balance to help promote exercise recovery, provide sustained energy and help build lean muscle. Our products also deliver nutrients and high-quality proteins to conveniently help you bridge the gap between meals. MUSCLE MILK is not a sole source of nutrition and should be consumed in conjunction with a nutritious diet.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
DO MUSCLE MILK® PRODUCTS CONTAIN MILK OR DAIRY?
The term “dairy” on a food product, pertains to foods such as milk, cream, half and half, yogurt, ice cream, and custards. Since dairy is a regulated term, to qualify as a dairy product you need to contain fluid “milk” or certain “dairy” ingredients conforming to the federal standard of identity for “milk“ or “dairy”.
MUSCLE MILK® Ready to Drink Protein Shakes are derived from milk (calcium caseinate, sodium caseinate, milk protein isolate, milk protein concentrate and/or whey protein concentrate, depending on product.) Since these ingredients are more refined than milk, (reduced lactose, cholesterol and fat content), it is not the same thing as milk. So technically speaking, MUSCLE MILK® Protein Shakes are ‘non-dairy’. An example of another ‘non-dairy’ product derived from milk ingredients is non-dairy creamers.
MUSCLE MILK® Ready to Drink Protein Shakes do contain milk proteins and therefore should not be consumed by persons with milk allergies.
MUSCLE MILK® Protein Powders, similar to Ready to Drink Shakes do contain proteins derived from milk, but in a powdered form.
WHAT TYPE OF PROTEIN IS IN MUSCLE MILK® READY TO DRINK SHAKES AND POWDERS?
MUSCLE MILK® Protein Shakes and Powders are made with high-quality protein derived from milk sources, designed with your unique daily and performance protein needs in mind.
| MUSCLE MILK
® BRAND PRODUCT
MUSCLE MILK® Genuine Protein Shake
|Calcium Caseinate, Sodium Caseinate|
MUSCLE MILK® 100 Calorie Protein Shake
Milk Solids, Calcium Caseinate, Sodium Caseinate
MUSCLE MILK® PRO SERIES Protein Shake
Calcium Caseinate, Sodium Caseinate
MUSCLE MILK® Genuine Protein Powder
Calcium Sodium Caseinate, Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein
MUSCLE MILK® 100% Whey Protein
|Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate|
MUSCLE MILK® Gainer Protein Powder
|Milk Protein Isolate, Calcium Sodium Caseinate, Sodium Caseinate, Whey Protein Isolate, Micellar Casein, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Hydrolysate, Lactoferrin|
MUSCLE MILK® PRO SERIES Protein Powder
|Milk Protein Isolate, Calcium Sodium Caseinate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Sodium Caseinate, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Hydrolysate, Lactoferrin|
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHEY AND CASEIN PROTEINS?
Slow Digesting Proteins:
- Better for hindering muscle breakdown
- Improved leucine retention (key amino acid to initiate muscle growth post exercise)
- Overall extended protein balance
- Bedtime snack for muscle repair
- Ingredient examples:
- Micellar Casein
- Milk protein isolate (~80% casein)
Fast Digesting Proteins:
- Spike amino acids levels for faster post-workout support
- Better for older individuals (higher leucine needs) to offset muscle loss.
- Ingredient examples:
- Whey protein isolate and concentrate
- Whey peptides and free amino acids
- Milk protein isolate (~20% whey)
ARE THE PROTEINS IN MUSCLE MILK® READY TO DRINK SHAKES AND POWDERS CONSIDERED TO BE HIGH QUALITY?
I HAVE LACTOSE ISSUES, ARE MUSCLE MILK® READY TO DRINK SHAKES AND POWDERS FOR ME?
MUSCLE MILK® Ready to Drink Shakes and Powders are suitable for most individuals that are sensitive to lactose. There are some MUSCLE MILK® products that contain more than 1 gram of lactose per labeled serving, so if you are highly sensitive to lactose, you may wish to avoid these products: MUSCLE MILK® Smoothie Yogurt Protein Shakes – 3 grams lactose, MUSCLE MILK® Organic Protein Shakes – 1.1 grams lactose, MUSCLE MILK® 100% Whey Protein Powder – 1.5 g lactose, MUSCLE MILK® Performance Whey Protein Powder – 3.2 g lactose.
DO MUSCLE MILK® READY TO DRINK SHAKES NEED TO BE REFRIGERATED?
ARE MUSCLE MILK® READY TO DRINK SHAKES AND POWDERS GLUTEN FREE?
ARE MUSCLE MILK® READY TO DRINK SHAKES AND POWDERS KOSHER?
ARE MUSCLE MILK® READY TO DRINK SHAKES AND POWDERS OK FOR TEENS TO CONSUME?
MUSCLE MILK® is not suitable for children under 15 years of age or pregnant women. Should only be used under medical or dietetic supervision.
ARE MUSCLE MILK® READY TO DRINK SHAKES AND POWDERS OK FOR CHILDREN TO CONSUME?
CAN I USE MUSCLE MILK® READY TO DRINK SHAKES OR POWDERS AS A MEAL REPLACEMENT?
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO DRINK A MUSCLE MILK® READY TO DRINK SHAKE OR CONSUME A MUSCLE MILK® POWDER?
WHY DO I NEED PROTEIN IF I DON'T WORK OUT?
- The protein you eat breaks down into amino acids in the body, which support muscle growth, repair and maintenance.
- Complete proteins contain all the essential amino acids required by humans in the appropriate ratios.
- Protein is also important in numerous processes in the body including hormone function, bone health and nutrient transport.
- Protein compounds in the body are constantly changing, breaking down and rebuilding with new amino acids from the foods you eat.
- Consuming complete proteins (high-quality protein) at each meal supports the rebuilding of proteins required for healthy muscle and bones.
- Consuming both fast and slow release proteins help keep your body in positive protein balance.
- Protein helps fill you up and may help you maintain a healthy body weight, especially in conjunction with exercise.
I DO NOT WANT TO GET BIG MUSCLES, IS A MUSCLE MILK® READY TO DRINK PROTEIN SHAKE RIGHT FOR ME?
Yes. MUSCLE MILK® Ready to Drink Shakes provide high-quality proteins that can help support your active lifestyle and fitness goals. There are a variety of choices within the MUSCLE MILK® product lineup, so you can choose one that is just right for you. Additionally:
Protein after exercise aids in recovery and may help reduce muscle soreness and helps build lean muscle.
Exercise and physiological stress can speed up the process of proteins breaking down.
Consuming a slow releasing casein protein such as that found in MUSCLE MILK® Ready to Drink Shake prior to bedtime helps the body stay in positive protein balance whilesleeping, which may support post-exercise recovery and muscle growth.
The essential amino acid leucine, a component of the proteins found in MUSCLE MILK® Ready to Drink Shake, is a key driver in kicking off the muscle growth and repair process.
DO ANY OF YOUR PRODUCTS CONTAIN EGGS?
WHAT ARE THE PROTEIN RECOMMENDATIONS TO HELP SUPPORT WELLNESS IN AGING?
Experts have suggestions for activity and nutritional recommendations to support wellness in aging. Here are some key points:
- The RDA or Recommended Daily Allowance for protein is 0.8 grams of protein per kg body weight (0.36 grams per pound). This is the amount of protein for all adults to meet basic nutritional requirements. Many experts suggest a higher range of 1.0-1.5 grams per kg body weight (0.45-.68 grams per pound) for older adults to maintain positive protein balance to maximally stimulate muscle growth. Protein needs for adults may be further increased as physical activity increases to support muscle growth and repair.¹
- One study of adults over 50 years old notes that 27-41% of women and 15-38% of men consumed less than the RDA for protein.²
- Health professionals recommend resistance and aerobic training combined with an overall well-balanced diet including adequate amounts of high-quality protein consumed evenly throughout the day, to help support the healthy aging process.¹
Summary of Protein Requirements
|RDA for Protein
|Suggested Daily Protein Needs
for Older Adults*
|Protein Needs for Athletes
and Active Adults**
|54 grams/day||68-102 grams/day||81-135 grams/day|
*Source: Institute of Medicine. Nutrition and Health Aging in the Community: Workshop Summary. Washington, D.C.: The National Academies Press. March 2012.
** Source: Nutrition and Athletic Performance, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 48(3):543-668, March 2016.
1. Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Food and Nutrition for Older Adults: Promoting Health and Wellness. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012.
2. Kerstetter, JE et al. Low protein intake: the impact on calcium and bone homeostasis in humans. J Nutr.2003.
This information provides general guidance on protein. Nutritional requirements are dependent on numerous factors and should be individualized based on certain health conditions. You should always seek the advice of a Registered Dietitian or qualified medical practitioners for specific nutritional guidance.